Reprogramming the subconscious mind is a journey that, when done effectively, transforms a person’s entire life. Here is my untold story of how I reprogrammed my subconscious mind from survival mode to living a beautiful life.
The human mind is an intricate and remarkable system that operates on multiple levels, with the subconscious mind being a crucial component. While the conscious mind deals with our immediate awareness, the subconscious mind holds a vast reservoir of beliefs, memories, habits, and emotions that influence our thoughts, behaviors, and decisions.
In fact, most of us make exceptionally important decisions from the subconscious mind rather than the conscious. How we view ourselves has been stored in the subconscious from childhood, and depending on our upbringing, this could be beneficial or destructive.
Reprogramming the subconscious mind has gained significant attention in recent years as a means to transform negative patterns, enhance personal growth, and unlock our true potential. Rightfully so. As we change core beliefs and messaging our entire outer world changes with it.
In this article, we delve into how I personally reprogrammed my subconscious minds, the exact tools I used, the benefits of doing this type of inner work, and how you can start on this journey as well.
This article is all about Reprogramming the Subconscious Mind.
Reprogramming the Subconscious Mind
Understanding the Subconscious Mind
The subconscious mind can be likened to the hidden control center of our thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. It processes information, stores memories, and establishes patterns based on our experiences and beliefs, often operating beneath the surface of our conscious awareness. It is this aspect of the mind that often drives our habits, influences our decision-making, and shapes our overall perception of the world.
Did you know that the brain uses 20% of the body’s energy? For that reason, the brain goes into autopilot whenever possible to conserve energy. Have you ever driven home and not even realized how you got back? That’s the brain in autopilot, running from the subconscious.
We tend to make buying decisions on autopilot, and then say things like “I don’t know why I got this”. We scroll through social media mindlessly absorbing messaging that reflects our internal dialogue. We say things off the cuff that reflect our subconscious thoughts.
Depending on what is programmed into our subconscious this can be harmless or harmful.
The Power of Reprogramming
Reprogramming the subconscious mind involves consciously modifying and updating the deeply ingrained beliefs, thought patterns, and behaviors that reside within it. By doing so, we can break free from self-limiting beliefs, overcome negative habits, and cultivate a more positive and empowering mindset. For instance, if someone who grew up being told they need to lose weight, their buying habits might reflect that of someone who is constantly dieting OR of someone who binges to fit the mold of someone who needs to lose weight. Two sides of the same spectrum. Another example, if someone grew up unconditionally loved, they tend to quickly cut people off who don’t exhibit loving behaviors. It doesn’t fit the mold of their subconscious mind.
When we realize that we hold subconscious beliefs that are not beneficial to our mental, emotional, and physical health — we have the power to change our entire life.
It’s impossible to change our external world before changing the internal dialogue. Otherwise, we continue to take different roads to the same crummy destination.
So how do we change the internal dialogue that is so deeply embedded? Through reprogramming the subconscious mind.
Techniques for Reprogramming the Subconscious Mind
A little background about my story. I had years of unresolved trauma when I first approached this type of inner healing. Trauma took its toll on my sense of self, self worth, and self love. In short, I had a lot of messaging I wanted to change. I tried a plethora of techniques but these were the ones that were successful and ones I still use to this day:
- Affirmations: By repeating affirmations regularly, the subconscious mind gradually accepts them as truths, replacing negative or limiting beliefs. Our brains also begins to rewire itself, creating new neural pathways and pruning old pathways that are no longer utilized (old beliefs). I’ve created a ton of specialized affirmations to help you get started.
- Visualization: Carving out time to imagine desired outcomes and experiences instead of worse case scenarios and doomsday thinking was a huge shift at first. The process of immersing yourself in vivid mental imagery of what you want helps the brain understand the new direction it is headed. Remember the brain cannot comprehend what is real and what is imaginary, so it starts to believe in what you are constantly thinking. The best example is imagining sucking on a tart lemon and your mouth begins to salivate even when there’s not a lemon in sight. You can create vision boards and place them on walls, or use them as screensavers to further help.
- Hypnosis: Exploring hypnotherapy or self-hypnosis techniques to access the subconscious mind more directly, spooked me at first. Not going to lie. I thought it was a little too far out there, but then I found that it’s honestly very similar to guided meditation. Theoretically, under a hypnotic state, suggestions and affirmations can be planted in the subconscious, enabling deep-rooted transformation. What I found helpful is when you are able to relax enough to get the brain into THETA or ALPHA, that’s when the brain is highly more suggestible, which is what these hynotherapies do. My favorite free hypnotherapy is by Suzanne.
- Meditation: Similar to hypnotherapy, guided meditations are incredible ways to place you in a state that makes the subconscious mind more suggestible and easier to reprogram. My favorite meditations to alter my subconsious to release and change habits are here and here.
- Journaling: bringing our subconscious beliefs to light is huge and can best be done through journaling. I created a Self Healing Journal that will walk you through the process, but the best suggestion is start with what’s triggering you and lead it back to when this first became an insecurity or pain point. What did you learn in that moment? And how has that belief shown up in different areas of your life? Once you’ve become aware, that’s when you can start changing thoughts and behaviors.
Benefits of Reprogramming the Subconscious Mind
There are numerous benefits of doing this type of inner healing work, but here are a few amazing perks that you’ll notice right away:
- Overcoming Limiting Beliefs: Reprogramming the subconscious mind allows you to challenge and transform limiting beliefs that hold you back from reaching your full potential. By instilling positive and empowering beliefs, you open yourself up to new possibilities. Your entire world will start to slowly shift into a more positive direction. It’s pretty incredible.
- Behavioral Change: The subconscious mind drives our habits and behaviors. By reprogramming it, you can break free from negative habits, addictions, and self-sabotaging behaviors, enabling a brighter future.
- Enhanced Well-Being: By cultivating a positive and empowering mindset, you can reduce stress, anxiety, and negativity. Reprogramming the subconscious mind opens the door to improved mental and emotional well-being, meaning greater happiness and fulfillment. Have you ever felt pure bliss before? You’re about to.
- Improved Relationships: Our subconscious beliefs and patterns significantly impact our interactions with others. By reprogramming negative thought patterns and emotional responses, we can cultivate healthier relationships based on trust, empathy, and understanding. If we learned to be afraid of abandonment as a child, guess what type of relationships we feel most at home around as an adult? Those who will abandon us when times are tough. When we reprogram the subconscious mind to know we are worthy of relationships that are stable, secure, and full of unconditional love — that’s when we start attracting those relationships. It begins, however, by showing ourselves stable, secure, unconditional love. Then it will ripple outwards into our friend groups, romantic partners and so forth.
Reprogramming the subconscious mind is a powerful tool for personal transformation and growth. By engaging in techniques such as affirmations, visualization, hypnosis, meditation, and journaling, we can gradually replace negative patterns and transform our lives. I hope this article helps you on your own journey.